Once a month, we stop practicing and invite you to show off your best work.
Are you interested in being published (in print)? Would you like to get better at the writing craft by working with an editor? Do you enjoy a little friendly competition? And are you a fan of The Write Practice?
Then this writing contest might be for you.
Show Off Your Best Work
Here’s how this writing competition works.
You will submit a longer piece, between 500 and 1250 words, based around this month’s theme: Dissent. You can submit as many pieces as you want. After one week, on May 9, 2012 at 11:59 pm EST, submissions will close, and we will choose a winner.
Here’s the exciting part. If your piece is chosen, I will work with you on making it the best it can be. We’ll work on making your images shine, your prose sparkle, your dialogue sing, and your grammar… not suck.
Then, at the end of the month, we’ll publish it on the Write Practice where hundreds of people will get to read you at your very best. For example, read last month’s winner, Dominic Laing’s story Ice, Custard Happiness, Amen.
It gets better though.
We’re going to do this every month for the next year, and in December 2012, we plan to collect all twelve of these pieces and publish them in a book. Real paper, real cover, real ink. So if your piece is chosen, you will be able to consider yourself a published author.
Ready to start?
SHOW OFF: RULES
The Theme: Dissent. Write a story somehow involving some kind of argument or disagreement.
- It should be a finished work. A complete story.
- Non-fictional and fictional pieces are both accepted.
- We will accept pieces between 500‑1250 words. We will read every word, so please, nothing over 1250 words.
- You can post your completed piece in the comments of this post. You canpost as many times as you want!
- Please, nothing too graphic or explicitly sexual.
- The deadline is Wednesday, May 9 at 11:59 pm EST to post your piece. That’s a week, but start today!
And, of course, if you submit your work, you agree to let me publish your piece exclusively on the Write Practice and in a physical book.
Best of luck to you!