Fall Writing ContestThis September, The Write Practice is partnering with Short Fiction Break literary magazine to host a writing contest in which everyone gets published!
Writing Contest Guidelines
Open to writers of all kinds to write a new story based on our contest theme, workshop it in our writing community, and submit it for publication in Short Fiction Break literary magazine.
All writers who participate may be published if they choose.*
Maximum length: 1,500 words.
Contest theme: Monster.
Enrollment deadline: To participate, you must enroll for the contest by Tuesday, September 4. Your story will be due for workshopping on Monday, September 10. Your final submission is due Monday, September 17.
Over $1,200 Prizes, PLUS Publication for Every Writer
The panel of judges will select one grand prize winning story, two runners-up, and five honorable mentions. These winners will receive:
GRAND PRIZE WINNER
The grand prize winning story will be featured on the front page of Short Fiction Break. The winner will be invited to become a monthly contributor to the literary magazine.
They’ll receive one year of free premium membership to Becoming Writer, normally $360, as well as a cash prize of $300.
This prize is valued at $660.
Two runners-up will have their stories featured on the front page of Short Fiction Break. They will also receive a cash prize of $100 each, and one year of free membership to Becoming Writer, normally $180.
This prize is valued at $280 each.
FIVE HONORABLE MENTIONS
The honorable mentions will have their stories featured on the front page of Short Fiction Break.
ALL SUBMISSIONS CAN GET PUBLISHED
Every writer who submits a story to this contest will be published by Short Fiction Break.*
Winners will be announced in early September.
*Authors who do not wish to be published may opt out.
READERS' CHOICE AWARD
Those who choose to have their stories published will be entered for the Readers’ Choice Award. Readers and fellow contest participants will have a week to vote for their favorite story, and the winner will be featured on the front page of Short Fiction Break.
Participants in this contest get three bonus eBooks worth $30, including our guide How to Win a Writing Contest and the bestselling book on writing short stories, Let’s Write a Short Story.
What Other Writers Are Saying About Our Writing Contests
This Contest Is Now ClosedThe writing contest is closed. But don’t worry! We host new writing contests all the time.
Full Contest Rules
Want to know all the details? Here’s how the Writing Contest will work:
- Write a new story based on the contest theme: Monster.
- Join the Becoming Writer community. All entrants get six weeks access to the Becoming Writer community, where you’ll be able to workshop your piece for the writing contest and join a supportive, encouraging community of fellow writers.
- Finish your story. This isn’t just a writing contest. We want to give you accountability to write something new. We’ll give you the support you need to write a new story of up to 1,500 words.
- Workshop your story. After you finish your story, get valuable feedback from other members of the Becoming Writer community. Then, edit your story so that it’s the best it can be.
- Submit your story to the judges. After your story is workshopped, you can submit the final draft to the judges, who will review your story for publication.
- Get published! Every writer who enters has the option of getting published by Short Fiction Break. Whether the judges select your piece or not, you’ll get the exposure your writing deserves.
- Get feedback from the judges! If you choose the premium entry, you’ll also get personalized feedback about why your story was or wasn’t selected by the judges.
- The winners. The judges will choose several winning stories. These top stories will get featured publication and cash prizes, as well as be publicized to The Write Practice’s community of readers.