Get Feedback from a publisherNew Writing Contest!
This June, The Write Practice is partnering with publisher JBD Entertainment and Short Fiction Break literary magazine to host a writing contest in which everyone gets published!
Get Feedback from a Publisher!
For the first time, we’re excited to be partnering with a traditional publisher!
That means that your story won’t just be evaluated as a standalone short story, but also for whether your story and writing will work for a novel.
Writing Contest Guidelines
Open to writers of all kinds to write a new story based on our contest theme, workshop it in our writing community, and submit it for publication.
All writers who participate may be published if they choose.*
Maximum length: 1,000 words.
Contest theme: Choose one of the following writing prompts to base your story on:
- What happens when Jeanette Tanner finds out that her father, a New York City police officer, is a vampire?
- What if a pack of werewolves takes over the mean streets of South Central Los Angeles?
- You see a otherworldly creature on the way to work. No one else can see it. What do you do?
- Tell us about a secret government facility tasked with cloning every dead American president.
- What will the American government do when it finds out that the Chinese Premier can read minds?
- What happens when Admiral Peter Kane’s fleet of starships gets ambushed by the Russian Federation?
- What will NCIS Special Agent John Rathbone do when he’s forced to retire because of a botched investigation?
- A washed up Medal of Honor recipient walks into a bar. What’s happens next?
- What if a CIA-sanctioned assassination of a foreign president goes awry?
UPDATED Enrollment deadline: To participate, you must enroll for the contest by Thursday, June 8. Your story will be due for workshopping on Monday, June 12. Your final submission is due Monday, June 19.
Over $1,200 Prizes, PLUS Publication for Every Writer
The panel of judges from Short Fiction Break literary magazine will select one grand prize winning story, two runners-up, and five honorable mentions. These winners will receive:
GRAND PRIZE WINNER
The grand prize winning story will be featured on the front page of Short Fiction Break. The winner will be invited to become a monthly contributor to the literary magazine.
They’ll receive one year of free premium membership to Becoming Writer, normally $360, as well as a cash prize of $300.
This prize is valued at $660.
Two runners-up will have their stories featured on the front page of Short Fiction Break. They will also receive a cash prize of $100 each, and one year of free membership to Becoming Writer, normally $180.
This prize is valued at $280 each.
FIVE HONORABLE MENTIONS
The honorable mentions will have their stories featured on the front page of Short Fiction Break.
ALL SUBMISSIONS CAN GET PUBLISHED
Every writer who submits a story to this contest will be published by Short Fiction Break.*
Winners will be announced mid-May.
*Authors who do not wish to be published may opt out.
READERS' CHOICE AWARD
Those who choose to have their stories published will be entered for the Readers’ Choice Award. Readers and fellow contest participants will have a week to vote for their favorite story, and the winner will be featured on the front page of Short Fiction Break.
JBD Entertainment is a publishing company focused on giving readers and viewers their next great adventure. JBD Entertainment is always on the lookout for talented authors. If you’d like to learn more about publishing with them, you can submit your information here.
Becoming Writer is the premier writing workshopping community from The Write Practice. Contest participants receive six weeks’ access to the workshopping community to get feedback on their short stories, novel chapters, and other writing pieces.
Short Fiction Break deeply values new and emerging writers and is committed to regularly publishing stories by upcoming authors. Often, the stories they share are a writer’s first published piece. You can see their publishing guidelines and submit your story here.
Participants in this contest get four bonus eBooks worth $35: Carlos Cooper’s I Am a Writer; our guide How to Win a Writing Contest; the bestselling book on writing short stories, Let’s Write a Short Story!; and the corresponding workbook, 15 Days to Writer and Submit a Short Story.
PLUS, the first 100 entries get a free SIGNED copy of bestselling author Jeff Goins’ new book Real Artists Don’t Starve.
Sign ups to the writing contest are now closed. You can find upcoming writing contests here.
*Current members of Becoming Writer receive standard entry to the writing contest at no additional fee. Premium members of Becoming Writer members receive premium entry.
Full Contest Rules
Want to know all the details? Here’s how the Summer Writing Contest will work:
- Write a new story based on the contest theme. See the themes above!
- Join the Becoming Writer community. All entrants get six weeks of access to the Becoming Writer community, where you’ll be able to workshop your piece for the writing contest and join a supportive, encouraging community of fellow writers.
- Finish your story. This isn’t just a writing contest. We want to give you accountability to write something new. We’ll give you the support you need to write a new story of up to 1,000 words.
- Workshop your story. After you finish your story, get valuable feedback from other members of the Becoming Writer community. Then, edit your story so that it’s the best it can be.
- Submit your story to the judges. After your story is workshopped, you can submit the final draft to the judges at JBD Entertainment, who will review your story for publication.
- Get published! Every writer who enters has the option of getting published by Short Fiction Break. Whether the judges select your piece or not, you’ll get the exposure your writing deserves.
- Get feedback from the judges! If you choose the premium entry, you’ll also get personalized feedback about why your story was or wasn’t selected by the judges.
- The winners. The judges will choose several winning stories. These top stories will get featured publication and cash prizes, as well as be publicized to The Write Practice’s community of readers.
Ready to Join the Writing Contest?
It will be one of the best things you participate in all year. Sign up now!