Once a month, we stop practicing and invite you to show off your best work.
This might be for you if:
- You want to be published (in print)
- You want to improve your writing
- You enjoy a little competition
- You like the Write Practice
How's that sound?
Show Off Your Best Work
Here’s how this writing competition works.
You will submit a longer piece, between 500 and 1250 words, based around this month’s theme: Love (in honor of Valentines day). You can submit as many pieces as you want. After one week, on February 10, 2012, submissions will close and we will pick the winner.
Here’s the exciting part. If your piece is chosen, I will work with you on making it the best it can be. We’ll work on making your images shine, your prose sparkle, your dialogue sing, and your grammar… not suck.
Then, at the end of the month, we’ll publish it on the Write Practice where hundreds of people will get to read you at your very best. For example, read last month’s winner, Lisa Burgess' story The Driver.
It gets better though.
We’re going to do this every month for the next year, and in December 2012, we plan to collect all twelve of these pieces and publish them in a book. Real paper, real cover, real ink. So if your piece is chosen, you will be able to consider yourself a published author.
Ready to start?
SHOW OFF: RULES
The Theme: Write your best love story.
- It should be a finished work. A complete story.
- Non-fictional and fictional pieces are both accepted.
- I’m looking for pieces between 500-1250 words. I will read every word, so please, nothing over 1250 words.
- You can post your completed piece in the comments of this post. You can post as many times as you want!
- The deadline is Friday, February 10 to post your piece. That’s a week, but start today!
And, of course, if you submit your work, you agree to let me publish your piece exclusively on the Write Practice and in a physical book.
Best of luck!
If you like The Write Practice, could you do us a huge favor and review our book, 14 Prompts, on Amazon? We would appreciate your help so much. Just follow the link to 14 Prompts and leave your review. Thanks!