The world needs more silly. That's why we want to invite you to please join us for The First Annual Wacky Writing Prompt Scavenger Hunt. We will randomly choose three participants to win a new Moleskine notebook, a brown paper bag, or a wooden hanger.
This is a Wacky Writing Prompt Scavenger Hunt, as in, highly irrational, crazy and silly. The world does need more love. I agree with Jackie DeShannon, what the world needs now is not more mountains or meadows; we need more love.
But, Jackie, we also need more silly.
You don't have to have fun if you don't want to. I don't even mind if you whine a little bit. I won't even make you brush your teeth before you start the game.
Here you go. Here is your Wacky Writing Prompt Scavenger Hunt List.
On your mark. Get set. Go!
Ten Writing Prompt Scavenger Hunt Items
1. To find the first sentence of your story: Take the third book from the left off of your book shelf. On page forty-two, third sentence from the top, is the first sentence of your story. (If it is a blank page, keep going until you find a page with type.)
2. The leftovers in your fridge, is what the main character ate for breakfast. ( If there are no leftovers, your character has to eat a fried egg.)
3. The conflict in the story is what is under your bed. If you are one of those organized minimalist people like Joshua Becker, and don't store anything under your bed, then I will give you another option because I am so nice. Not just nice, but, so nice. Here's your other option: your protagonist wants the last item you purchased.
4. Your main character, okay, okay, the protagonist, is wearing what is hanging in your closet, fourth item from the right. I will give you another option, if you hate what is hanging fourth from the right. Your character may wear whatever clothes you left on the floor last night. If there are only your white socks that you didn't put in the clothes hamper on the floor, here is a terry-cloth house coat, and a pair of pyjamas for you.
5. The protagonist's hair color is the color of your dog, or your cat, or your neighbors dog or cat. If both of your neighbors have pets, go with the neighbor on your right.
6. The protagonist will use whatever is in your pockets to win their conflict.
7. Please, please, please, use this word at least once in your story, “bacon.” I said, please, please, please, so I didn't sound so bossy. (To be nice, I will give you a choice of three words to choose from. One of these words has to be in your story.) Did you notice the word has was in italics, and bold? That means I really mean it.
c. page seventy-four in your dictionary, left-hand column, fifth word from the top. If the word is a dirty word, go to the next word. (i.e. dirty words, as in body parts, or bad words, as in you wouldn't want your children to read the word. )
8. The Antagonist, the person trying to keep the protagonist from getting what they want, has the same name as the person you had a crush on in grade two. (If you didn't have a crush on anyone in grade two use the name of your best friend in grade two.) The name of my antagonist is Dug. In the basement of a house on Avenue K, in Saskatoon, Saskatchewan, Canada, on a two by four, is written in pencil, I love Dug.
9. The location is where you spent your last vacation.
10. You will get help to resolve your conflict from a brown paper bag.
There we go. This will be fun. After Joe, (Hi Joe) edits the Wacky Writing Prompt Scavenger Hunt, I will play it as well.
Looking for more awesome writing prompts? Find our top 100 writing prompts and writing exercises here »
Have you ever played a Wacky Writing Prompt Scavenger Hunt? Also, if you have any suggestions for the Second Annual Writing Prompt Scavenger Hunt, please let me know.
Follow the Wacky Writing Prompt Scavenger Hunt clues.
This is a no time-limit the challenge. Take as long as you want, and, have fun. However, if you'd like to post your story in the comments section (and be entered for the silly prize), please keep it on the shorter side, less than 500 words. Otherwise not many people will have time to read your story!
Please comment on someone else's story. And have a fun silly day.
All my best,