I first decided to become a writer because I believe that stories have the power to change the world. So today, I want to give you sixteen story ideas for world changing writers.
Recently I’ve been working on a book that incorporates short stories in every chapter. The stories illustrate concepts that would otherwise be hard to understand. Some of them taught me to be brave, while others showed me how valuable risk is. Many of these stories have completely changed my life.
In our busy world, stories can have, for a small moment, our undivided attention—a rarity these days. How can we leverage those moments to change the world?
Stories Have Changed the World For Years
There are many names for short stories that illustrate lasting lessons. Fables, parables, and anecdotes. These stories all have one intent: to teach a lesson that changes the reader, and in turn, the world.
The boy who cried wolf taught us not to lie, while the fox and the hare taught us to never give up. The story of King Midas taught us to be careful what we wished for, and the three little pigs showed us that hard work pays off.
We at The Write Practice are all about helping you become a better writer, so instead of telling you how great these world-changing stories are, we are going to challenge you to write some yourself. The twist? I’m not going to give you a list of specific characters or the setting for your first scene.
I believe you are creative enough already. I am going to give you ideas for the messages behind a story that can change the world. (I can’t wait to see what you come up with!)
Short Story Ideas to Change the World
Ready to let your writing change the world? Here are sixteen short story ideas for world changers.
- Tell a story that makes your reader believe they are capable of more than they ever imagined.
- A story that gives the reader renewed purpose after the death of a loved one.
- A story that illustrates the power of confidence.
- A story that teaches the difference between good and evil.
- A story that illustrates the consequences of lying.
- A story that reminds your reader the value of joy and laughter.
- A story that helps your reader make a hard decision.
- A story that makes your reader want to travel the world to find themselves.
- A story that drives your reader to help someone else.
- A story that gives someone the courage to express their true feelings towards another person.
- A story that drives your reader to forgive someone else or themselves.
- A story that illustrates the power of working together.
- A story that makes the reader take a risk they normally wouldn’t.
- A story that reminds your reader why pushing through a challenge is worth it.
- A story that makes your reader question the meaning of life.
- A story that teaches your reader the value of trust.
These stories can have people, animals, objects, or aliens in them. The message can be subtle or powerful. The theme can be fantasy, adventure, or drama. All that is up to you.
I believe you have the power to change lives around the world with your words. Do you?
Have you ever written a short story with the intent to change the world? Let us know in the comments. And if you haven’t, why not start now?
I can’t wait to see how you convey these messages.